In this issue

 

EDF Trading, a unit of the French utility and energy company, has named Sophie Ducoloner as a senior manager in its liquefied natural gas division after hiring her from Russia's Gazprom Marketing and Trading.

UK-based LNG and energy engineering Amec Foster Wheeler has begun its search for a new Chief Executive to replace Samir Brikho, who is stepping down amid a structural overhaul in the industry brought about by the oil price plunge.

Our Europe editor

BG Group of the UK said its LNG Shipping & Marketing business delivered 282 cargoes during 2015, an increase of 58 percent on 2014, in difficult market conditions as both BG and Royal Dutch Shell have given overviews of their latest earnings.

Our North America editor

A United States plan to help build liquefied natural gas infrastructure to coincide with increased LNG carrier traffic on the expanded waterway with US companies sought to submit tenders for a feasibility study.

Our Asia-Pacific editor

Origin Energy, a stakeholder in the Australia Pacific LNG plant in Queensland that recently shipped its first cargo, has issued a statement to the Sydney stock exchange to say it had "robust financing arrangements" to cope with the current oil and energy markets slump.

PetroBangla, the state energy company of Bangladesh, is seeking expressions of interest from international and regional companies to set up two more liquefied natural gas import terminals.

A Canadian federal agency, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, has informed the nation's Environmental Assessment Agency that the Pacific NorthWest LNG project, led by Malaysia's Petronas, would have "a low potential" to adversely affect fish habitats.

UK liquefied natural gas equipment company Parker Bestobell Marine has received an order to supply its cryogenic fuel-gas valves for newbuild tankers being built to run on LNG.

Eagle LNG Partners said it had chosen US equipment-maker Cosmodyne of California to install a small-scale liquefaction plant at its facilities in Jacksonville, Florida, to make fuel mainly for the maritime market.

Our North America editor

Oregon LNG, one of two liquefaction and export plants proposed for the US Northwest, has refiled a lawsuit in the US District Court in Portland against plans by the Army Corps of Engineers to exercise rights near the LNG venture to deposit dredge spoils.

Our Middle East editor

Qatargas and RasGas of Qatar, the world’s largest producers, are manging to adapt to the new pricing and delivery requirements that have been the result of the oil price plunge and economic woes in the Far East and elsewhere.

Our Asia-Pacific editor

Many liquefied natural gas LNG players have shifted their focus to developing markets employing new regasification capacity and despite weakened demand and the impact of the oil price crash, LNG production remained high to reach 250 million tonnes last year.

Our North America editor

Cheniere Energy said it had delayed the shipping of its first cargo from the US Sabine Pass LNG export terminal in Louisiana until late February or early March because of technical problems during commissioning.

The price of oil-linked LNG has taken a further hit as the price of North Sea Brent crude dropped to an 11-year low on concern about global over-production, huge storage surpluses and lower future demand from China because of economic woes.

News Nudges

Vitol-Gazprom LNG deal

Swiss-based global commodities company Vitol has signed a multi-year LNG purchase agreement for the Russian player Gazprom Marketing and Trading (Singapore) to supply around 300,000 tonnes of LNG per annum from 2018. The supply will come from Gazprom’s diversified LNG portfolio. “We are delighted to be working with Gazprom Marketing and Trading, a subsidiary of Gazprom, the world’s largest producer of natural gas,” said Pablo Galante Escobar, Head of LNG at Vitol. “Vitol is an established participant in LNG markets globally and this development will strengthen our offering to customers worldwide,” he added.


Spanish firm is on track

Gas Natural Fenosa of Spain, one of Europe’s main LNG players with a supply agreement at Sabine Pass in the US, has held its annual shareholder meeting in Barcelona. Chief Executive Rafael Villaseca highlighted the company’s business performance, which was above the average for comparable companies in Europe. Villaseca said that GNF last year obtained 75 percent of its gross earnings from the regulated activities of gas and electricity distribution and the remaining 25 percent from liberalized power generation and natural gas marketing activities.


ABS starts in Houston HQ

The American Bureau of Shipping, one of the leaders of the development of the LNG industry in the US, has broken ground on its new global headquarters in Houston, Texas, comprising a 10-storey building and 326,800 square feet of office space. Completion of the ABS HQ, is scheduled for the end of 2018.